1800 - 1900

1800 - 30 April 1800 - At this meeting, a committee of three persons from each ward was appointed to plan a reorganization of the “Night-watch”. At a subsequent assembly on April 30, this committee advised that the patrol be increased. The recommendation was approved, and by the vigilance of the watchmen, disorder was suppressed for a time.
1807- 9 March 1807 - A general ordinance was passed defining the duties of the city commissioners. They were given large powers. Among other things, with the Mayor they were authorized to employ as many captains, officers, and watchmen as they might, from time to time, find necessary, but the expense should not exceed the annual appropriation for the service. The board was also required to make regulations and define the hours of duty of the watch; see that they attended to their duties with punctuality, receive their reports and cause them to be returned to the Mayor's office.
1808 - 15 March 1808 - We lost our Brother Night Watchman George Workner.
1816 - 7 February 1816, After just 34 years the Baltimore Police turned maintenance of the street lights over to Peale's Gas Light Company of Baltimore. The first gas street lamp in America was lit at the corner of N. Holiday St. and E. Baltimore St., where there still stands a replica of this light as a tribute to the rich history of our city, our police department, and the initiation of gas lighting in this country. As a side note the first home to have gas light was the residence of William Henry, a copper smith located in the 200 block of Lombard Street.
1826 - 9 March 1826 - the Mayor was given control of the police. The power given the Mayor was unlimited. The ordinance provided that the Mayor should appoint annually two Captains, two Lieutenants for the Eastern District; two Captains, four Lieutenants for the Middle District; two Captains, two Lieutenants for the Western District. He could also appoint any number of watchmen.
1826 - 9 March, 1826 - The Mayor was given control of the police of the city by an ordinance which provided that there should be appointed, annually, two captains and two lieutenants of the watch for the Eastern District; two captains and four lieutenants of the watch for the Middle District and two captains and two lieutenants of the watch for the Western District. They were expected to perform such duties as the Mayor might, from time to time, direct. The latter was also given the power to appoint as he chose any number of watchmen and to dismiss them at his pleasure. He was also to prescribe their duties.
1826 - Central/Middle District History - 9 March 1826 - Holiday and Saratoga Streets, established 03-09-1826, the building that housed it was built in 1802 and was in use until 1870. 202 N. Guilford Avenue, (North Street) built in 1870 used until 1908. Saratoga and St. Paul Streets, renovated school, March 4, 1908, until 1926. Fallsway and Fayette St. built in 1926 and used until 09-12-1977 when they moved to 500 E Baltimore St. from 12 Sept 1977 until present. 
1826 - Eastern District History - 9 March 1826 - 1621 Bank Street built around 1822, still stands. Used until 31 Aug 1959 at 12:01 am when they opened their new station house at the old Northeastern station at Ashland and Rutland Avenue until a new building was erected at Edison highway and federal streets, in Dec of 1960 and is the current site of the Eastern District. When it opened (in 1959) it was run by Capt. Millard B Horton.
1826 - Western District History - Green St between Baltimore St, and Belvidere St. Used from 1826 until 1876 when they moved to their new location, Pine Street, (still stands today and is used by the Maryland University Police) Baltimore Police used it from 1876 until 31 Aug 1959 at 12:01 am when they opened their new station house at Riggs Ave and Mount St. (1034 N Mount St), which is the current site of the Western District. When it opened it was run by Capt. Wade H. Poole.
1835 - 9 March, 1835 - A "Supplement” to this ordinance, which was passed on this day, provided for the appointment of twelve lieutenants of the watch, constituted policemen " to preserve the peace, maintain the laws and advance the good government of the city."  These lieutenants were required to reside in certain districts by the Mayor and have conspicuous signs on their houses bearing their names and office. In addition to their police duties, they were required to act as city bailiffs about the markets, their compensation was fixed at $20 a month for their night work as lieutenants of the watch and they received an additional sum of $220 a year for the services mentioned in the ordinance.
1835 - The Middle District - April 1835 - Located at Saratoga and Holiday streets; the Western District in Green Street near Baltimore and in Belvidere street. The last named 'watch-house' had a belfry, and in April 1835, an appropriation was made for a similar addition to the Green street watch-house; and in this year Mayor Jesse Hunt took occasion to call the attention of the councils to the "Lamentably defective" police arrangements of the city.
1836 - March 1836 - The compensation of the watchmen was increased to $1 for each night they served.
1837 - 17 May 1837 - the first issue of the Baltimore Sun is printed - The first article in the Baltimore Sun that references our police is titled Rioting and as we would expect it is a negative report, that even when police explain the article was incorrect, the paper still runs the story. It was a response to the police briefly being mentioned, however so brief, it was important the initial report is updated (some believe it may have been a morning issue of the same date with the response coming in the evening edition.
1838 - 22 May, 1838 - The councils substantially re-enacted the ordinance of 1835, providing, however, that if any watchman while in the performance of his duty should be wounded or maimed he should receive half-pay during the continuance of his disability, or for a period not exceeding two months. They were also paid for attendance at court. This ordinance provided as well for the annual appointment of three justices of the peace to receive the reports of the night watch. One of these justices was required to reside in each district. The yearly salary of each was $100.
1843 - In 1843 two cells were put in the Western watch-house while in the Eastern house there was hut one. In the same year the Baltimore Sun declared that the custom of the watch calling the time notified thieves of the locality of the patrol and gave the former an opportunity of safely conducting their operations. This custom was consequently abandoned.
1844 - 19 June 1844 - We lost our Brother Night Watchman Alexander McIntosh 
1845 - 18 February 1845 - The Southern District was established under an ordinance. Two captains and four lieutenants were appointed for it, and the boundaries of the other districts were rearranged.
1845 - Southern District History - The Southern District was first located at  Montgomery and Sharp Streets, where it sat from 1845 until 1896 when they moved to Ostend Street. Ostend Street and Patapsco Street, where it remained in use from 1896 until 1985/86, when it moved to 10 Cherry Hill Road where it remains in use to present. When it opened on 31 Aug 1959 it was ran by Capt. Elmer I. Bowen.
1848 - The Baltimore police, as constituted in 1848, consisted in the daytime of one high constable, one regular policeman for each ward, who was also lieutenant of the night-watch in his district, and the night watchmen. Besides these there were two extra policemen for each ward, who were called into service as occasion required. This system of day police was changed from time to time to keep pace with the increase in the number of wards in the city, until the wards numbered twenty. There was, however, no material alteration in the system until 1857, when a complete reorganization took place under the authority of an act of the Legislature passed in 1853
1850/1861 - (Mayor member Ex-officio) Charles Howard,  William H Gatchell, Charles d Hinks, and John W Davis
1850 - Charles Howard, was one of our Baltimore City Police Commissioner from 1850-1861
1851 - 20 October, 1851 - the first known metallic badge worn by Baltimore Police Officers also known as the 1st. Issue badge.  
1853 - The State Legislature on March 16, 1853, passed a bill, "To provide for the better security for the citizens and property in the City of Baltimore." This statute provided that police officers should be armed and that a badge and commission be furnished each member. The former act of 1812 was repealed with the passage and enactment of this bill. No change occurred in the police organization until 1857  
1856 - 13 November, 1856 - We lost our Brother Night Watchman John O'Mayer
1856 - By this time the city’s chief executive again controlled the force.  There were five Detectives in the first squad and they wore civilian clothes. As was mentioned above Patrolman were compelled to wear uniforms both on, and off duty.  In winter the uniform was a black cap with the policeman’s number on it, a dark blue overcoat, trousers with a patent leather belt and the word police printed on it. These first five appointed Detectives were - Detective Thomas W. German, Detective Christian Barnes, Detective William Stevens, Detective WmL. Tayman, and Detective Jerome Airey

1856 - 11 December, 1856 - City Council votes on, and passes a bill to arm Baltimore Police Officers - 1857 was a date given by History Channel's "Tales of the Gun" - the "Police Guns" Episode, with an original air date, of 2 April, 2000, in which they reported, "Baltimore as having become the first Department in the nation to issue, and provide each police officer with a firearm." The documentary went on to state The Colt, 1849, Pocket Model, was the weapon of choice, and was 1st issued, and used by the BPD and it's Officers. Sometimes information contradicts information and as such, we located two Sun Paper articles; one dated,11 December, 1856, entitled "Proceeding of City Council", in which arming the individual City Police Officer was voted in to law, then on 25 December, 1856 an article titled "The New Police Bill" the bill was released. While all of the actual revolvers may not have been provided in 1856, they were approved into law on that 11 December, 1856. ALSO NOTE: We're only providing the aforementioned information about, "Baltimore being first to arm their police" out of respect for the Discovery Channel, and their source(s), but I suggest, at least for now, that we take it with a grain of salt. Still, I will leave this until we find further info, or others that read this line from a Sun Paper article, Dated 11 December, 1856, in which a member of City Council at the time trying to pass his bill to arm Baltimore Police said, "In New York and Philadelphia where there is a penalty for carrying concealed weapons, the police are armed by the city authorities." This is being taken by us to mean, we may have been at least 3rd in the issuance of firearms, but by these reports, we were not first.
1857 - 1 January, 1857 – Came the next important change under the provisions of this act; the ordinance, introduced an entirely new order of things, and placed Baltimore's Department of Police on practically the same footing as those of the other large cities of this country. It declared that after; 1 March 1857, The existing watch and police systems should be ABOLISHED,and all ordinances for the establishment and regulation of the same be repealed. The new force consisted of one marshal, one deputy marshal, eight captains, eight lieutenants, twenty-four sergeants, three hundred and fifty police officers, five detective police officers and eight turnkeys. The men were required to do duty day and night, and were given all the powers then vested by law in the city bailiffs, police officers, constables and watchmen. The city was divided into four police districts, whose stations were at the watch-houses. The Marshal, with the concurrence of the Mayor, was given authority to establish the limits of the stations, divide them into beats, making allowance for a proper force to retain at the station houses. He had power also to alter at will the limits of the districts and beats. At this time, the Detective Bureau was established. The City was divided into four police districts. Middle/Central, Eastern, Western and Southern. 
1857 - Baltimore Police gets it first uniform police button. 
Before 1857 the police in Baltimore like most other American cities did not wear a standardized uniform or buttons.  Thus, the buttons of the Baltimore police during this time were probably the civilian examples worn by the officers. The earliest Baltimore Police buttons were a German letter "P" inside a "Laurel Wreath" They presumably come in two sizes:  23 mm large coat size and 15 mm cuff or hat size although no examples of the hat size have been observed at this moment.  Of these first-generation buttons several marks on the back (called back-marks by collectors were noted). HERE

1857 - 15 August, 1857 – 200 Revolvers are purchased for issuance to Baltimore's Police Officers.
1857 - 17 Sept, 1857 – City Council approves spending $3845.95 on 200 Revolvers
1857 - 11 Oct, 1857 – Possibly the First Police-Involved Shooting with issued firearms. The officers involved were, Deputy Marshall Manly, and Officers G.H.E., Bailey, Nicholson, Saville, Lee, George Bailey, Andrew, Presto, Chapman, and Englar. Shot was Deputy Marshall Manly, and Suspect Andrew Hesslinger was killed, and an African American named Ramsey. The shooting took place at a bar called Seager’s Lager Beer Brewery at 7 o’clock on that Sunday, the establishment situated upon the Frederick Road at its intersection with West Pratt Street.
1857 - 14 October 1857 - We lost our Brother Sergeant William Jourdan   
1857 In this year 1857 the department compelled Patrolmen to wear uniforms both on and off duty. They had several rules, 1) Winter uniforms were made up of a black cap bearing the policeman’s number, dark blue overcoat, and trousers with a patent leather belt, and the word "Police" prevalently stamped upon its buckle. 2) Summer uniforms were the same minus the overcoat. Policemen were required to wear standing collars. 3) The badge of their authority was a star 3 inches; it was worn on the left breast of their coat. The star was often sewn on to avoid all chances of an officer being without his badge. In the old days our brothers would occasionally leave their badges home; so having them sewn on alleviated that situation. Taking away an excuse used by thugs that would use a badgeless officer as an excuse to assault him and then claim he didn't know his victim was an officer. 4) The final piece to the officer’s uniform was his "Billy Club", known in Baltimore as an "Espantoon" it was recognizable as it was often carried in the officer's hand, spun on a leather strap, or tucked under the officer's arm. While in the station or when both hands were needed otherwise, the Espantoon might be seen hanging from a ring on their belts. They also carried pistols back then.
1857 - 1 March 1857 - First Detective Squad - The first squad of detectives was appointed by the mayor, under the New Police Bill in Dec of 1856
1858 - 16 March, 1858 - The Legislature of the State took memorable action in passing a bill to "provide for the better security of life and property in the City of Baltimore." This enactment empowered the Mayor and the City Councils to increase, and in every way strengthen the police, whether officers, bailiffs, night-watchmen, or in any way connected with the organization of the force. When any of these guardians of the peace were injured either in person or apparel, while in the discharge of his duties, the act required that he be fairly indemnified. This statute also provided that the police force should be armed, that a commission and badge be furnished each member, and that it should be no defense for anyone who resisted or assaulted an officer to claim that his commission or badge was not exhibited. This statute repealed the act of 1312. 
1858 - 27 Jun 1858 - We lost our Brother Patrolman Henry Wilcox 

1858 - 22 September, 1858 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Benjamin Benton
1858 - 5 November, 1858 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Robert M. Rigdon
1859 - 27 June, 1859 - Police and fire-alarm telegraph adopted June, 1858; first put into operation
1860 - 2 Feb, 1860 - Baltimore Police force placed under State control
1860 - Other innovations of the time were the inception of the Marine Unit in 1860 - The Harbor Patrol would begin patrolling the harbor based on wording in the legislature that had a large portion of the waters Baltimore City, and therefore had to be protected by City Police. Budget at the time wouldn't allow for steam, or other motor based boats. Marshal Jacob Fray was called in to figure out what could be done about the problem. An 1886 sun article said if the times, "They hadn't the funds to buy a patrol boat. What then? Well Marshal Frey conceived of the idea of placing rowboats at advantaged positions, using points where the various districts touched the harbor waters. Four boats total, two for Eastern, one for Central and one for Southern." (NOTE: There was no "Southeast" at the time, Southeast didn't come until 1958) A second article from 1958 went on to say, "It would then be a simple matter of jumping in the boats at the required time, of pushing out from land and then of rowing over the regulated beats. It was all somewhat surprising, efficient and a novelty that worked for 31 years." Click HERE
1860 1 May, 1860, we switched our badges to the 2nd issue badge. It was a new “Metropolitan Police" force under a Board of Police Commissioner’s (BOC), state-appointed civilians, signaled the retirement of the "Corporation Police force" and the new badge was authorized. 
1860 - 7 May of 1860,
 The force reorganization as mentioned above which brought about more than just the changes already mentioned, Also changed were the first uniform buttons which were introduced just three years earlier [1857]. They were changed from the German "P" in the "Laurel Wreath". The new buttons were made in 3 pieces (a front and a back held together by a rim).. On the front the new buttons were the letters "BCP" for Baltimore City Police, like the German "P" the letters "BCP" were also placed inside a "Laurel Wreath". These 3 piece buttons were referred to as a staff button style, as the 3 piece style was first used for the United State Army Staff Officers buttons. They came in 23 mm coat and 15 mm hat/ cuff sizes. Click HERE

1861 19 April, 1861 - was a fateful day for Baltimore police, who had to stop rioting citizens to protect Union Soldiers passing South through the city. 
1861 - 27 June, 1861 to 29 March, 1862 - (Under control of the United States Military authorities) Police Commissioners Appointed by the Military authorities - Columbus O'Donnell,  Archibald Sterling Jr.,  Thomas Kelso,  John R Kelso,  John W Randolph,  Peter Sauerwein,  John B Seidenstricker,  Joseph Roberts, and Michael Warner. Our newly sworn police officers at the time were recognized by a simple, "Pink Ribbon" worn on their left lapel, and the, "Espantoon" carried by Baltimore police, other than those two identifiers, a uniform had not yet been selected, and so they dressed in civilian attire. 
1861/62 - In March of 1862, the military authorities who had taken control of the Department on June 27, 1861, turned over the Police Department to the authority of the state. 
1862 - In 1862 Baltimore's Police commissioner suggested they form a Park Police; the purpose of the Park Police was to police the new Druid Hill Park, which at that time was wholly beyond the city limits and thus beyond the authority or city Police, city's Park Commission was first granted the right to preserve peace in the parklands by the City Charter of 1862 (this department disbanded in 1959 with members joining the Baltimore Police).
1862 - 3 April 1862, A newly formed Baltimore Police Department appeared in an entirely new uniform with a new series of badges. Known as the 3rd Issue badge, the new badge had the same center section as the first badge, including the return of the "City Police" designation. Surrounded by twenty small points encircled by a narrow rim, the 20 points represented the 20 wards, i.e., the people that the police protected, and the thin band symbolized the policemen that held it all together. With this, we had an entirely new Police Department, with new men, and new leadership. Even control of the department was taken from city government and turned over to the state giving us new management. The commissioners from 1861 had all been arrested, the officers all replaced, with a vetting process that only the cleanest of the clean, and the best of the best were re-hired; those in question were all released. Everything was new, unlike other agencies in this country that had run from their start date until current times; the Baltimore Police Department had many starts and restarts. Still, the rebuild of 1861/1862 was unlike anything that has ever been done anywhere before, making it an entirely new department. In 1862 when the military authorities left Baltimore turning the agency back over to the newly hired leaders of the force, police control wasn't put back into the hands of city hall. Control of the department at the time was given to the State where it would remain for more than 100 years until 1978. In 1978 control of the department went from the state back to the city. We can't make judgment's, but some have asked if it should go back to the state?
1862 - 29 March, 1862 to 15 Nov 1866 - (Mayor member Ex-officio) Samuel Hindes, and Nicholas L Wood
1862 - Nicholas L.Wood, was one of our Baltimore City Police Commissioner from 1862-1864  
1863 - 18 Feb 1863 - We lost our Brother Sergeant William Wright 

1864 - Samuel Hindes, was one of our Baltimore City Police Commissioner from 1864-1866
1866 - 15 Nov, 1866 to March 1867 - (Mayor member Ex-officio) William T Valiant, and James Young,
1866 - James Young, was one of our Baltimore City Police Commissioner from 1866-1867
1867 - 23 April 1867 The first State agency to exercise police powers was the Baltimore City Police Force. Established in 1867 under a Board of Police Commissioners, the Force was elected by the General Assembly (Chapter 367, Acts of 1867).  Baltimore's police force, from 1867, was governed by a State board although jurisdiction was limited to the City. 
1867 - March 1867  Lefevre Jarrett,  James E Carr, and William H B Fusselbaugh
1867 - LeFevre Jarrett, was one of our Baltimore City Police Commissioner from 1867-1870
1868 -  24 July, 1868 (Friday) - The Baltimore Flood overtook the city. In a crisis the bravery of Commissioner Carr in rescuing the victims of the catastrophe, became a matter of national fame. Harper's Weekly, at the time, in a long article on the floods, quoted the following editorial notice from the Baltimore Sunday Telegram, of July 26, 1868: "It is a true saying, that in times of great public calamities, some men rise to the position of a greatness, and such was the case with Police Commissioner James E. Carr.
1870 - 14 March, 1870 - John W Davis,  James E Carr, and William H B Fusselbaugh
 - 5 July, 1870 - We lost our Brother Police Officer James Murphy  
1870 - 17 Aug 1870 - We lost our Brother Lieutenant Richard Chanowith
1870 - John W. Davis, was one of our Baltimore City Police Commissioner from 1870-1871

1871 - 12 January, 1871 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Charles J Walsh *
1871 - 22 May, 1871 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Joseph Clark
1871 - 14 September, 1871 - We lost our Brother Detective John H. Richards
1871 - 15 March, 1871 - William H B Fusselbaugh,  James E Carr, and Thomas W Morse
1871 - William H.B. Fusselbaugh, was one of our Baltimore City Police Commissioner from 1871-1881
1872 - 18 August 1872 - We lost our Brother Police Officer John Christopher  
1872 - 22 Nov 1872 - We lost our Brother Patrolman Franklin Fullum *
1873 - 12 January 1873 - We lost our Brother Patrolman John H. Dames * 
1873 - 12 January 1873 - We lost our Brother Patrolman James T. Harvey * 
1873 -  6 October 1873 - We lost our Brother Patrolman Thomas Baldwin *
1873 - 11 November 1873 - We lost our Brother Patrolman William H Healy * 
1874 - Northwestern District History - 1874 - The Northwestern District was first opened at Pennsylvania Ave and Lambert Street where it remained until 1958/9 when they moved to their present district on Reisterstown Rd.
1874 - Northeastern District History - 1874 - The Northeastern District was first opened at Ashland and Chew Streets (Durham) where it remained until 1958/9 when they moved to their present district at 1900 Argonne Drive.
1875 - 15 March, 1875 - William H B Fusselbaugh, Harry Gilmor, and John Milroy  
1875 - 27 Nov 1875 - We lost our Brother Patrolman Robert Wright  

1876 January 1876 - Baltimore Police Headquarters was moved from the corner of Calvert and Lexington Streets to the newly furnished offices in the basement of City Hall. This was all by design of Mayor Latrobe to save as much as $2000 a year in rent. These City Hall offices were used by our police department until 1926 when the "old" Police Headquarters Building at Fallsway and Fayette Streets were opened, and where they remained until 1977 when Central moved to 500 E. Baltimore St. Headquarters had actually moved across the street to 601 E Fayette Street five years earlier in 1872, that "old" Headquarters Building was demolished in 1984.
1876 Baltimore switched from the Colt "Model 1849" Pocket Model to the Smith & Wesson "Baby Russian", nickel plated.  These remained in service until approx. 1910 when various models were purchased for field trials. Flip-flopping back and forth over the years from Colt to Smith and Wesson, Smith and Wesson to Colt and so on, up until 1990 when the Department began phasing in the Glock "Model 17" 9mm Semi-Automatic.
1877 - 15 March, 1877 - William H B Fusselbaugh,  Harry Gilmor, and James R Herbert  
1877 4 Aug 1877 - We lost our Brother Patrolman Henry Schaper   

1878 - 12 April, 1878 - William H B Fusselbaugh,  James R Herbert, and John Milroy
1880 - 9 November, 1880 - The Motto for the department began in the Central District and was displayed on a plaque on the gymnasium wall, "Ever on the Watch" written in English, under the Latin words "Semper Paratus" and "Semper Fideles" - "Semper" can either mean, "Always" or "Ever" - so it could read either "Ever Ready / Ever Faithful / Ever on the Watch" or "Always Ready / Always Faithful / Ever on the Watch". Throughout history "Semper Paratus", and "Semper Fideles"have consistently been read as "Always". However in Baltimore using "Ever on the Watch" over "Always on the Watch" leads us to believe in this case "Semper" stood for "Ever" - Giving us "Semper Paratus - Semper Fideles - Semper Alapa Buris Pervigil" or "Ever Ready - Ever Faithful - Ever on the Watch" 
1881 - 15 March, 1881 - George Colton,  James R Herbert, and John Milroy
1881 - George Colton, was one of our Baltimore City Police Commissioner from 1881-1887
1883 - Mourning for fallen officers, and the passing of officers, was ordered upon the death of Capt. Franklin Kenney of the Eastern District. The mourning time was established, and set for a period of 10 days for fallen officers and 5 days for passing officers.
1883 - 15 March, 1883 -  George Colton,  James R Herbert, and John Milroy
1883 - 27 September 1883 - We lost our Brother Captain Benjamin Franklin Kenney
1884 - 5 Aug, 1884 - George Colton,  John Milroy, and J D Ferguson
1884 - 6 January, 1884 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Charles W. Fisher   
1884 - 12 Jan 1884 - We lost our Brother Patrolman George Pumphrey  

1884 - Southwestern District History - 1884 - 17 July 1884 The Southwestern District was first opened at Calhoun and Pratt Streets (200 S Calhoun St) where it remained until 11 July 1958 when they moved to their present location at 424 Font Hill Ave.
1884 - "Central District" takes on this new title, from it's former "Middle District" as was reported in a 1905 sun paper report in which the author wrote of a library of police docket books "A single glance along the long row of frayed and weak back books is interesting, as it shows exactly when the old "Middle District" changed its name to the more dignified title of "Central District". The record for 1884 is the first book bearing the name "Central District" Maintenance 
1885 - 20 March, 1885 - We lost our Brother Police Officer August Harting

1885 - 15 Oct 1885, Jacob Frey begins his term as Marshal from Oct 15 1885 - Jul 12 1897
1885 18 October, 1885 - On the same day the wagons were brought to Baltimore The Baltimore Police Department began using the Police Telegraph Boxes (Call boxes) the pilot program started in the Central District with 58 boxes in that district alone. The system of Call Boxes would quickly spread to be used in all of Baltimore's Police Districts, and on all posts/bailiwicks. The first Call Box tested was Box #63 located on the corner of Franklin and Charles Streets in the Central/Middle District. Our Boxes were described as having been approximately 4 ft from the ground, made in two sections, the phone section in the top compartment, with the lower compartment housing a "Dial" system in which an officer could put the pin of the dial on whatever he wanted, from back-up, to a wagon, to an ambo. These first boxes were painted red in color, which may have brought about issues when compared to the very similar looking Fire Alarm Box.
1885 25 October, 1885 - The first Patrol Wagon went into service on October 25, 1885 - and is believed to make Baltimore the second to use patrol wagons in the country, behind Chicago. The story goes; Once upon a time, Deputy-Marshal Jacob Frey was reading an illustrated police magazine, while in the gymnasium of Central's Police Station, as he was turning trough the pages he saw facts on Police Patrol Wagons being used in Chicago. He brought the idea before the board of police commissioners; they were mildly interested. Frey didn't give up on ideas he felt had merit, and some weeks later he would one again call the board’s attention to the matter again. They had forgotten about it, but promised again that they would look into it. Wagon's and Police Telegraph Box Systems, were the future of Baltimore policing in Frey's eyes, so after the (BOC) Board of Police Commissioners failed to act, Marshal Frey took matters into its own hands. He sent one of the members of the "BOC" and "Marshal Gray" to Chicago to see how the "New Fanged" patrol wagons worked. The pair "Were Charmed" an old records states. And while there, they saw Chicago’s new police telegraph box system. (These days we call them Call Boxes) The end result was both facilities (the Wagon and the call Boxes) were in Baltimore by the fall of 1885. According to Gamewell's records, Chicago was the first to use the Police Telegraph System, and Baltimore was the second in the country to use this system.
1885 - The Harbor Patrol was established in 1885. (Not to be confused with the Marine Unit which was initiated in 1891 when we obtained our first Police Boat, "The Lannan") 
1886 - The Police Helmet, (Bobby Cap) worn in other cities, was made part of the uniform in Baltimore. (It was introduced by Commissioner Alford J. Carr.  Taking the place of the derby or bell cap formerly worn by Baltimore police.  Commissioner Carr specified that the black helmet was to be worn in the winter, and the pearl gray helmet worn during summer months.  The helmet at that time was significant of rank, only patrolman and sergeants wore it.  The Marshal and his Deputy Marshal as well as all Captains and Lieutenants wear the regular cap of the period.)
1886 - 25 Feb, 1886 - George Colton, John Q A Robson, and John Milroy
1886 - 25 Jun, 1886 - George Colton, John Q A Robson, and Alfred J Carr
1887 - 15 March, 1887 - Edson M Schryver, Alfred J Carr, and John Q A Robson
1887 - Edson M. Schryver, was one of our Baltimore City Police Commissioner from 1887-1897
1888 - 23 Jan, 1888 - Edson M Schryver, John Gill Jr, and John Q A Robson
1888 -  A 17 square mile portion of Baltimore County was annexed by Baltimore City. The number of officers in the Baltimore County Police Department was cut from 33 to 10 as officers and station houses were absorbed into the Baltimore City Police Department.
1888 - 1 June 1888 - The Mounted Patrol was established, by Marshal Jacob Frey and Sgt James R. Moog.
1889 28 March, 1889, Ten incandescent electric lights which will illuminate the heretofore gloomy pathway in Druid Hill Park leading from the Clipper gate to the walk from the Mansion House to the main entrance on Madison Ave, were lighted last night (28 Mar 1889) for the first time. The lamps are placed upon cedar posts about the height of a street gas lamp, and are lighted simultaneously by the turning of a lever in the gate keeper’s house at the Druid Hill's Entrance to the park. Street lamps were initially began in this country at the suggestion of the Baltimore Police Department when they used oil lamps that would be lit, extinguished and maintained by Baltimore’s Police, the year was 1784. It was not so obvious to the public as it were to the panel of commissioners, and to the council of city hall, but the lighted streets in Baltimore were a deterrent that prevented, and decreased crime, in and around "Mob Town". While at first many of the ideas, and, or theories of the Panel of Commissioners, and or, our Marshals were often shot down, or put off until they either died in committee, or were funded privately. Many of these ideas would go on to become the norm in law enforcement throughout the country, and around the world.  Furthermore these concepts would eventually become widely approved of, paid for, and authorized by our state legislatures.
1889 4 July, 1889 - We lost our Brother Police Officer John T. Lloyd
1890 27 May, 1890 - What came to be known as the 4th Issue badge was worn with a new uniform by all members of the force. This is a shield-shaped badge with the word "POLICE" across the top, Maryland seal in the center and a ribbon with the officers number across the bottom. Sergeant's and above had an eagle on top of their shield. Lieutenants and above wore a badge similar to the Sergeant but was gold in color. The eagle on the badges had a ribbon in its beak denoting the rank of the officer. These were worn from 1890 until 1976
1891 15 July, 1891 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Jacob Zapp
1891 10 August 1891 - The Formal Start of Baltimore's Marine Unit - The little steamer is the harbor police cruiser "Lannan”  named in honor of former Deputy Marshal John Lannan, deceased, who had charge of her construction. The Lannan was built in 1891 by James Clark & Co., from plans kindly loaned the Department by the United States Government. The harbor patrol boat was completed on August 10, 1891, and after a very successful trial trip was accepted and immediately put into commission. Click HERE 
1894 - 20 June, 1894 - We lost our Brother Police Officer James T. Dunn 
1894 - 20 June, 1894 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Michael Neary
1894 1 Dec, 1894 - Edson M Schryver, John Gill Jr, and John C Legg 
1895 - 16 June, 1895 - We lost our Brother Sergeant Benjamin Graham

1895 - 3 July, 1895 - Hammerless Revolvers were first obtained in Baltimore - It has been reported that on this day in 1895 one dozen 38-caliber hammerless revolvers were received through the Police Commissioner's Office as the first part of a purchase of this variation of firearm for our agency. The older style pistols with a hammer above the handle/grip [as described in an 1895 newspaper report, were characterized as follows] The older style revolvers had to be cocked before they could be fired. The newer revolvers were fired through a combination of pressure on the trigger and a proper hold on the weapon's pistol/grip. The grip/handle contained a spring in the back/handle of the weapon, which when pressed/squeezed by a firm grasp of the officer's hand on the weapon. Each of the Department's Board of Commissioners will have one of these new pistols. Marshal Jacob Frey, Deputy Marshal Thomas "Tom" Farnan, and the Captains from each of the Department's Districts will also receive one of these new revolvers.
1895 - 17 October, 1895 - We lost our Brother Police Officer John J. Dailey
1896 The Bertillon Bureau was established to take photographs and measurements of prisoners. Bertillon system n. A system formerly used for identifying persons by means of a detailed record of body measurements, physical description, and photographs. The Bertillon system was superseded by the more accurate procedure of fingerprinting.
1896 - 27 March, 1896 - Daniel C Heddinger,  John Gill Jr, and Edson M Schryver 
1897 - 15 March, 1897 - Daniel C Heddinger,  William W Johnson, and Edson M Schryver 
1897 - 13 July, 1897 - Thomas F Garnan, was Deputy Marshal / Acting Marshal from July 13 1897 - Oct 6 1897 
1897 - 7 Oct, 1897 - Samuel T Hamilton was Marshal from Oct 7 1897 - Oct 7 1901 
1897 - 12 July, 1897 - the active connection of Marshal Jacob Frey, with the Police Department ceased. On October 7, 1897, Capt. Samuel T. Hamilton was elected Marshal of Police to succeed Marshal Frey. Marshal Hamilton was a veteran officer of the Civil War and a man of indisputable courage and integrity. For many years following the great civil conflict he had served on the Western frontier and took part in the unremitting campaigns against the Sioux and other Indian tribes, who were constantly waging war upon the settlers and pioneers as they pushed their way toward the setting sun, building towns and railroads and trying to conquer the wilderness and its natural dwellers. In the Sioux campaign of 1876, when Gen. George A. Custer and his gallant command, outnumbered ten to one by the Indians in the valley of the Little Big Horn, were annihilated, Captain Hamilton and his troop rode day and night in a vain effort to re-enforce Custer and his sorely pressed men. It was on June 26, 1876, the Seventh United States Cavalry rode and fought to their deaths, and on June 27, the day following, the reinforcements arrived, exhausted from their terrific ride across the country. Captain Hamilton and his troop fought through the rest of the campaign, which resulted in Sitting Bull, the great Indian war chief, being driven across the Canadian frontier.
1897 - Daniel C. Heddinger, was one of our Baltimore City Police Commissioner from 1897-1900 
1898 - 11 February 1898 - We lost our Brother Police Lieutenant Michael F Black

1898 - Fall of 1898 ground was broke on Northern District. What was being built on a piece of land purchased by the City, at Cedar and 2nd was called Northern's annex. (a new District) to be ran by Capt. Thomas W Morris
1899 3 July 1899 - We lost our Brother Police Detective John S. Pontier  
1899 - 29 August, 1899 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Alonzo B. Bishop


2000 +

1900 - 2000

1700 - 1800