826 - Eastern District History- 03-09-1826 - The Eastern District was first located at 1621 Bank Street a building that was built around 1822, and still stands to this day. It remained at the Bank Street location until the summer of 1959, when the station was moved to the old Northeastern station at Ashland and Chew St. (Durham) in the Summer of 1959 where they stayed until 1960. In December 1960 they moved to their current location at 1620 Edison Highway.


1874 - Northeastern District History - 1874 - The Northeastern District was first opened at Ashland and Chew Streets (Durham) in 1874 where it remained until 1958/9 when they moved to their present district at 1900 Argonne Drive. The Northeastern District is the largest police district in Baltimore City. It encompasses 16.71 square miles and borders the Northern District, Eastern District, Southeastern District, and two Baltimore County precincts. The Northeast District is home to Morgan State University, Good Samaritan Hospital, Clifton Park Public Golf Course, Mt. Pleasant Public Golf Course, Lake Montebello, and the newly constructed Stadium Place on the grounds of the old Memorial Stadium, which is the site of the new YMCA and senior housing facility.


1900 - Northern District History - Today in Baltimore Police History 1900 - The Northern District was first opened at Keswick and 34th Street (Cedar & Second Streets) on 1 Feb 1900 at 8 am ran by Capt. Gittings, Lieutenants Henry, and Dempsey; Round Sergeants will be, Warden for Day Duty, and Moxley for Night Duty. At the time they began with 50 officers. It remained at the Keswick location until 2001 when it moved to its current location at 2201 W Coldspring Lane. The following article from the Baltimore sun dated 1 Feb 1900 entitled NEW POLICE DISTRICTS 


1858/59 - Southeastern District History - 1958/59 - The Southeastern District is the youngest of all of our districts, it was first built in 1958/59 at its present location of 5710 Eastern Ave. The Southeast District is one of the most culturally diverse districts in the city. It borders the Central, Northeastern, and Eastern Districts. Well-known for its many tourist attractions and businesses, the Southeastern District includes Fells Point, Little Italy, Canton, Highland town, Butchers Hill, and Greek town, to name a few of the district's many great neighborhoods.


1874 Northwestern District History - 1874 - The Northwestern District was first opened at Pennsylvania Ave and Lambert Street in 1874 where it remained until 1958/9 when they moved to their present district on Reisterstown Rd. The Northwestern District is one of the largest in the City and it borders the Northern District, Southwestern District, Western District, and Baltimore County. The Northwestern District has a very diverse population and its Police personnel are also very diverse. The police have made great strides in reducing violent crime and will continue to do so.


Northwestern District
Street Address: 5271 Reisterstown Road 
Baltimore, Maryland 21215
Mailing Address: Click for mailing instructions
Phone: 410-396-2466
E-mail: E-mail the Northwestern District



Arlington, Ashburton, Burleith - Leighton, Callaway - Garrison, Central Forest Park, Central Park Heights, Cheswolde, Cross Country, Dolfield, Dorchester, East Arlington, Eastwood, Fallstaff, Forest Park, Garwyn Oaks, Glen, Grove Park, Hanlon Park, Hanlon - Longwood, Hillsdale Park, Howard Park, Langston Hughes, Liberty Square, Lucille Park, Park Circle, Park Heights, Pimlico, Powder Mill Park, Purnell, Reisterstown Station, Seton Business Park, Television Hill, Towanda - Grantley, West Arlington, West Forest Park, Windsor Hills, Woodmere

1 black devider 800 8 72

Fallen Heroes 72 gallery 2 gallery

Northwestern District 
Fallen Officers

1902 - 20 May 1902 - We lost our Brother Police Officer John a McIntyre NWD  

1902 - 30 July 1902 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Charles J. Donohue NWD 

1912 - 25 November 1912 - We lost our Brother Officer John McGrain NWD 

1915 - 21 September 1915 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Herbert Bitzel NWD 

1926 - 29 June 1926 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Webster E. Schuman NWD 

1926 - 12 July 1926 - We lost our Brother Police Clerk Thomas J. Dillon NWD 

1927 - 5 August 1927 - We lost our Brother Police Officer William F. Doehler NWD 

1931 - 7 January 1931 - We lost our Brother Police Officer John P. Burns NWD 

1932 - 2 January 1932 - We lost our Brother Police Officer William A. Bell NWD 

1934 - 2 November 1934 - We lost our Brother Police Officer John A. Stapf NWD  

1935 - 31 Oct 1935 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Arthur H. Malinofski NWD 

1944 - 29 January 1944 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Joseph Waldsachs NWD 

1948 - 30 December 1948 - We lost our Brother Police Officer John W. Arnold NWD 

1954 - 19 April 1954 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Aubrey L. Lowman NWD 

1955 - 24 October 1955 - We lost our Brother Sergeant James J. Purcell NWD 

1956 - 29 September 1956 - We lost our Brother Police Officer John R. Phelan NWD 

1959 - 11 January 1959 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Richard H. Duvall, Jr. NWD  

1964 - 15 October 1964 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Teddy L. Bafford NWD 

1964 - 25 December 1964 - We lost our Brother Sergeant Jack Lee Cooper NWD 

1973 - 6 April 1973 - We lost our Brother Police Officer Norman Frederick Buchman NWD 

1979 - 2 March 1979 - We lost our Brother Police Officer John H. Spencer NWD 

2007 - 9 January 2007 - We lost our Brother Detective Troy Lamont Chesley, Sr. NWD   

May they Rest In Peace

1 black devider 800 8 72


Neighborhood Resources

Reisterstown Plaza Associates - Mt. Washington Village - Mount Washington Improvement Association

The Northwest District is the home of the world-renown Preakness and Maryland’s famous Pimlico Racetrack attracting visitors from around the world

Gustav A. Romoser Sr., c1880-1940

Appointed to the Baltimore City Police Department on March 2, 1913, he was assigned and proudly served in the Southwestern District, the Northern District and the Traffic Division.

In 1925 he was promoted to the rank of Sergeant and was assigned to the Northwestern District. He then attained the rank of Lieutenant on April 14, 1938. While serving in the Northwest District he developed a very serious heart problem, after a long illness, he passed away June 18, 1938, at the age of 60. Lt. Gustav A. Romoser had an exemplarity 27-year career with the department and his death was a great loss to the department and the citizens of Baltimore. His service Honored the Department. Lieutenant Romoser was a veteran of the Spanish-American War and was a member of Baltimore Police Post, Veterans of Foreign Wars. He was a Mason and a member of Pythagoras Lodge and a Knights Commander. He leaves his widow, Wilhelmina (Minnie) C. Romoser, three sons, Gustav A. Romoser, Jr., a member of the Baltimore Police Traffic Division; Winfield Romoser, and Vernon Romoser, and two sisters, Mrs. Clara McDonald, of Parkville, Baltimore County, and Mrs. Lottie Lupton, Baltimore. Fellow Police Lieutenants served as pallbearers and he was laid to eternal rest in Western Cemetery near the New Cathedral Cemetery. Data compiled Sister Anne M. O'Donnell Pratt Library, Maryland Room, Biography File, Index Card with Obit; also Microfilm Obituary, Baltimore Sun, Wednesday Morning, June 19, 1940, p. 20 [11-15-10]

25 Picked City Policemen Training For Riot Squads

Northwestern District Officers Getting Special Instructions On Small Arms, Tear Gas And Sub-Machine Guns

August 30, 1939

A select group of twenty-five Baltimore policemen is going back to school these days to again learn their ABC's-only this time they are learning the ABC's of firearms.

The men all of whom are attached to the Northwestern police district is being formed into riot squads to handle any and all types of mob disorder and violence in the Northwestern district and maybe in the city. They will be under the supervision of Sergeant Albert N. Kirwan.

Following their graduation, the officers will be well versed in the use of small, medium and large pistols, tear gas, sub-machine and riot guns.

Made Careful Selection

The idea of organizing the riot squads was fostered by Sergeant Kirwan and captain King commander of the district. The two spent quite a bit of time choosing the group. All members were selected because they had telephones in their homes and owned automobiles. After they were picked the men were separated into three divisions to serve on each of the three shifts.

If and when an emergency arises, Captain King said, a single division can be assembled in the station house in ten minutes and dispatched to the scene of disorder. The three divisions, he added, can be notified and assembled for action at the station house within thirty minutes.

Practice Already Begun

Sergeant Kirwan-better known as Sergeant Jack---who is acting as supervisor of instruction, was selected for his post because of his own ability with all types of firearms and because is well liked by the men.

Practice and instruction in the use the various weapons began Monday At the Police Department pistol range at Saunders Field, on the Governor Ritchie Highway.

Although the twenty-five men were chosen primarily because of their proficiency with small arms, they will not be allowed to fire the larger weapons until they have mastered the technique of taking them apart and assembling them and learned how to and unload them without endangering others.

Skull Sessions Set

Skull sessions will be held at various intervals either at the station-house or at Saunders range. When the schooling is over each squad will have 2 sergeants. The 8 A.M. to 4 P. M. squad will have seven members and other two squads will have nine.

The divisions and those comprising squads are as follows:

A- Division:

Sergeants Harry Ernest and Leonard Fehlauer; Patrolmen Edward Bees, Fred Knorline, Fred Gladstone, Carles Schuhart and Elmer Tracy.

B- Division:

Sergeants William Vinup and Carl Kornke; Patrolmen Charles Blaney, William Krause, Frank McKenna, Edward Bender, Leslie Kummer, Norman Kelly, and James McLaughlin.


Sergeants Stanley Oster and John Allen; Patrolmen John Griffin, John O’Brien, Charles Heim, Roger Stocksdale, Francis Kotmair, George Klander, and John W. Smith.

 NWD great John Dodson


Squad2 5 17 02Squids Devider

 The Following are all courtesy William Starkey

72bpd172bpd272bpd372bpd472bpd672bpd772bpd872bpd972bpd1072bpd1172bpd1272bpd1372bpd1772bpd1872bpd1972bpd2072bpd2272bpd2372bpd2472bpd2672bpd2772bpd2872bpd3072bpd3172bpd3272bpd3372bpd3472bpd3572bpd3672bpd3772bpd3872bpd3972bpd4072bpd4172bpd4272bpd4372bpd4472bpd4572bpd4672bpd4772bpd4872bpd4972bpd5072bpd5172bpd5472bpd5572bpd5672bpd5772bpd5972bpd6072bpd6172bpd6372bpd6472bpd6672bpd6772bpd6872bpd6972bpd7072bpd7172bpd72William Stark



Northwest District old-timers meet for breakfast on the last Monday of each month at Bob Evans on Padonia Road. 
Contact Thor Dalebo for further information. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1 black devider 800 8 72

Ken uses eBay Snipe program EZSniper to try to win auction for the site and museum click the logo above of click HERE

1 black devider 800 8 72




1 black devider 800 8 72


Copies of: Your Baltimore Police Department Class Photo, Pictures of our Officers, Vehicles, Equipment, Newspaper Articles relating to our department and or officers, Old Departmental Newsletters, Lookouts, Wanted Posters, and or Brochures. Information on Deceased Officers and anything that may help Preserve the History and Proud Traditions of this agency. Please contact Retired Detective Kenny Driscoll.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Devider color with motto



How to Dispose of Old Police Items

Please contact Det. Ret. Kenny Driscoll if you have any pictures of you or your family members and wish them remembered here on this tribute site to Honor the fine men and women who have served with Honor and Distinction at the Baltimore Police Department.

Anyone with information, photographs, memorabilia, or other "Baltimore City Police" items can contact Ret. Det. Kenny Driscoll at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. follow us on Twitter @BaltoPoliceHist or like us on Facebook or mail pics to 8138 Dundalk Ave. Baltimore Md. 21222


Copyright © 2002 Baltimore City Police History - Ret Det Kenny Driscoll 


1884 - Southwestern District History - 1884 - The Southwestern District was first opened at Calhoun and Pratt Streets (200 S. Calhoun St) where it remained until 07-11-1958 when they moved to their present location at 424 Font Hill Ave. The Southwest District is the eighth of nine districts within the Baltimore Police Department. The officers of the Southwest District are committed to public safety, to include targeted enforcement, community engagement, and building strong community partnerships. The Southwest District is known for its strong community involvement, which has made the district's crime fighting strategies a success in the past, and they will continue those efforts in the future. Overall crime reduction was approximately -19%.


1826 - Western District History - The Western District was first located at Green St between Baltimore St, and Belvidere St. Used from 1826 until 1876 when they moved to their new location, Pine Street, (still stands today and is used by the Maryland University Police) Baltimore Police used it from 1876 until 1958/9 when they built their new station house at 1034 N Mount St, which is the current site of the Western District.


1845 - Southern District History - The Southern District was first located at Montgomery and Sharp Streets, where it sat from 1845 until 1896 when they moved to Ostend Street. Ostend Street and Patapsco Street, remained in use from 1896 until 1985/86, when it moved to 10 Cherry Hill Road where it remains in use to present. The Southern District is comprised of 12.79 square miles and approximately 61,000 residents. It is home to M&T Bank Stadium, home of the Ravens, and Camden Yards, home of the Orioles. The district borders Anne Arundel County and Baltimore County, as well as the Southwest, Western and Central Districts. The district extends south from the Inner Harbor along the waterfront to Hawkins point, west to the Lakeland community, north to Baltimore St. and Payson St. and east back to the Harbor.


1826 -  Central/Middle District History - 03-09-1826  Central District was first known as the Middle District and was first located at Holiday and Saratoga Streets, it was established on 03-09-1826, the building that housed Central was built in 1802 and was in use by the police until 1870. From there they moved to 202 N. Guilford Avenue, (North Street) that building was brand new built in 1870 and used until 1908. On March 4, 1908, Central moved to Saratoga and St. Paul Streets, a renovated schoolhouse. That location was used until 09-12-1926 when they went to Fallsway and Fayette St. sharing the Headquarters building built in 1926 and used until 09-12-1977 when they moved to 500 E. Baltimore St.