P/O Joseph C. Clarke

Fallen HeroPatrolman Joseph C. Clarke


The wonton and cold-blooded shooting of Patrolman Joseph C. Clarke on Monday night (22 May 1871) by Frederick M Kusey as detailed in the Monday night May 23rd Sun-Paper yesterday gave rise to considerable feelings during the day in the community. The body of the deceased was at an early hour removed to his late residence number 172 is for Avenue Policeman Clark was a very worthy citizen, and a good officer. He leaves as before stated a wife, and nine children as well as his grandchildren. The alleged murder Frederick M. Kusey said to belong to Philadelphia was arrested about 6 AM yesterday by policeman Bradley, McGuire and Chew and on the warrant of Coroner Spacer was committed to jail to wait the selection of the grand jury Kusey is a young man about 23 years of age rather spare, and about 5’8” in height. It appeared that on Monday night after committing the deed to see escaped from the premise number 28 Center St. by a gate leading out to Holliday Street without his hat. He first went to the labor house By Voechell on the corner of Franklin and North Streets where he procured a hat, and about midnight when all the spare men of the police force were searching for him, he appeared at that lighter beer saloon of Mr. Johnson under the mansion house corner of St. Paul and Fayette Streets and asked for and obtained a drink. He here said that he had gotten himself into a scrape, that he had shot a policeman, and then displayed the pistol with which he alleged the shooting was done he then complained of being tired and having no money he borrowed $.50 with which to pay for a bed at the mansion house. Mr. Johnson had not learned of the murder, and was disposed not to believe Kusey, to see but early hour yesterday morning on reading the account of the affair in the Sun he at once gave information to Policeman Bradley, who calling to his assistance acquire and chew proceeded to the room of Kusey and arrested him as he was about leaving the bed.

The accused made no resistance. He had in his possession a cold seven shooter, three chambers on which had been discharged and three were still loaded. The four female witnesses against the accused were Annie Lawrence alias Chenoweth, Molly Rogers, Sally Cain and Lizzie Shirley, were also committed to jail by corner Spicer but for the latter being in delicate health was sent to Washington University hospital. Corner Spicer held a postmortem examination of the body of policeman Clark yesterday previous to the removal from Mr. Weavers. He found that the ball which had entered the mouth of the deceased had buried itself in the left jawbone, the second ball penetrated the left breast pass through the long and out the back cutting the spinal ulterior and causing instant death from internal hemorrhage. The other ball passed through his hat grazing in his head.

Kusey is a bartender and has been employed in several public houses in the city. After his committal to jail and in fact from being the time of his arrest he said nothing as to the motive that led to the commission of this fearful crime with which he stands charge except when questioned by Capt. Mitchell of the middle district who asked the prisoner when induced him to slay the policeman Kusey  then answered, “I don’t know what I must have been drinking or crazy.” Capt. Mitchell replied “your subsequent conduct did not indicate that you are either drunk or crazy.” The prisoner answered, “then I wish it had been myself that I had shot.”

From conversations with the four women witnesses, as well as from the testimony before the corner, the concise of Mount of the murder is made Annie Lawrence alias John Willis is the keeper of the house number 23 Center St. and Frederick M Casey lives there that is the Shirley, Sally Cain and Molly Rogers were roommates of the house the accused have given the ladies much trouble by demanding money from her when intoxicated, about three weeks since C caused his arrest and committal to jail in order to avoid his annoyance. On Monday night he again became troublesome in his demands for money, and was so threatening that she ordered Sally who had charge of the bar to close it would she did taking the money from the tour with her and locking it herself in her room Mrs. Lawrence then went out the back gate to look for an officer.  Kusey followed her and locking her out he then ran out to the light and went to her bedroom on the second floor and when she returned with policeman Clark and on knocking was let in by one of the girls, everything was dark on getting upstairs she proposed to get a light when Clark told her he had a match on going into the room Kusey was found standing with his boots and hat off clerk told him to put his boot one as he must go with him Kusey replied with an raids when he was again told he must go Kusey Casey then told Lizzie Shelley to go downstairs for his hat. When he’s soon thereafter fired two shots the third as she was going up the steps with the hat the three women made their escape the murdered man fell to the floor of the steps and Kusey then went up to the room of the female bartender and demanded whatever money she had which she had locked up in her trunk and refused to give him the key Kusey then ran downstairs over the body of Clark made his escape and was arrested as above stated. All the witnesses concur in the statement that Kusey had a great antipathy to all who wore the police uniform and invariably calling them “speckled ones”.

The house number 23 Center St. in which the tragedy occurred is a three-story brick the lower floor being used as a barroom it is in position of the police authorities a policeman being stationed on the premise day and night numbers of morbid curiosity hunters visited the spot yesterday, but no one was permitted to enter the premises except officers. Msgr. Fusselbaugh, car and Morris of the police commissioners and Mr. M Boswell, their clerk work early at the scene of the murder, and during the entire night worked with the police and looking up the perpetrator. It was at first suggested that the murder had escaped to the top of the home and Mr. Carr obtained a ladder made a personal examination of the roof the police authorities were greatly aided by Mr. John W Davie Esq. late police Commissioner. Who subsequently acted as foreman of the coroner’s jury. Marshal gray and deputy Marshall free were also very active during the night as in fact were all officers and men to the middle district the funeral of policeman Clark takes place at 3 PM today and will be attended by the police board and all of the police force that can be spared from duty the deceased was a strict member of the Roman Catholic Church

While he is no longer with us, we his brothers and sisters of the Baltimore Police Department will not let him be forgotten. RIP Brother

1 black devider 800 8 72More Details

End of Watch 22 May, 1871
City, St.      28 Center St.
Panel Number 47-E: 14
Cause of Death      Gunfire
Weapon - Handgun
District Worked Central


1 black devider 800 8 72


Donations help with web hosting, stamps and materials and the cost of keeping the website online. Thank you so much for helping BCPH. 

Paypal History Donations

1 black devider 800 8 72


Copies of: Your Baltimore Police Department Class Photo, Pictures of our Officers, Vehicles, Equipment, Newspaper Articles relating to our department and or officers, Old Departmental Newsletters, Lookouts, Wanted Posters, and or Brochures. Information on Deceased Officers and anything that may help Preserve the History and Proud Traditions of this agency. Please contact Retired Detective Kenny Driscoll.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Devider color with motto


How to Dispose of Old Police Items

Please contact Det. Ret. Kenny Driscoll if you have any pictures of you or your family members and wish them remembered here on this tribute site to Honor the fine men and women who have served with Honor and Distinction at the Baltimore Police Department. Anyone with information, photographs, memorabilia, or other "Baltimore City Police" items can contact Ret. Det. Kenny Driscoll at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. follow us on Twitter @BaltoPoliceHist or like us on Facebook or mail pics to 8138 Dundalk Ave. Baltimore Md. 21222


Copyright © 2002 Baltimore City Police History - Ret Det Kenny Driscoll